Thanks to all who have taken a look at the survey pilot. I'm impressed with the response so far .. but not many have suggestions for additional (or corrected) questions. I'd like to make the survey ~ 20 questions so that we capture a reasonable amount of data – but at the same time it would be very quick to take.
I've pulled together some interesting resources on usability:
- Himss EMR vendor selection paper
- 1999 AMIA paper
- JMJ EMR workflow "white paper"
- Usability.com – usability glossary
- COMPETE EMR vendor slection process (PDF) (powerpoint)
- Peter Ziemkowski's 1999 paper on EMR usability
- Integrimed's EMR evaluation matrix paper has some usability references – but is a good example of how usability isn't adequately measured in such evalutations.
- Jakob Nielsen's useit.com
- Maryland's Human-Computer Interaction Lab
- IBM has some interesting papers on usability - and they've got some great posters that can be used to remind us that "computing is about people, not machines." IBM's User-Centered Design principles are also a good summary of what we should expect from our vendors.
- An essay on medical errors and usability.
- FDA: Human Factors in Medical Device Design
- David Gaba's 1995 paper: Human Error in Medicine